Monday, September 27, 2010

Fall



















Fall is my favorite time of the year.

Sure I enjoy the sunshine and relaxing days of Summer,
a snowy walk in the early darkness of Winter, and
of course I love the new, bright green buds of leaves in Spring

but Autumn is such a special time of the year...


I love the way Fall
looks...



















The shadows are getting longer, and the rays of sun have a special urgency about them.
They seems to say "Wait, I'm still here, enjoy me - I'll be gone soon."
Each day the sun goes down a little earlier,
and I am always excited to see a beautiful Harvest Moon!
The leaves are so vibrant, orange, red, and yellow.




I love the way Fall
smells...




















Apple cider, cinnamon, musty leaves sitting in piles,
fireplaces starting up.
Pumpkins and cloves, and scented pine cones decorating the house.

I love the way Fall
sounds...




















Still.
Cicadas are gone, fans have been put away.
The AC is off, and it is
Still.
Leaves falling to the ground, and then the crunch as you walk through the fallen carpet of reds and oranges and browns. Squirrels cracking open walnuts, and soft breezes blowing through open windows. Football practice at the high school, and marching bands down the street.

I love the way Fall
tastes...

Apple cake, pumpkin pie, apple cider, caramel apples, s'mores by the fire, casseroles permeating the house.

I love the way Fall feels...

Cooler.
Brisk mornings, and warm afternoons.
A warm jacket for an evening walk,
and a fuzzy robe in the morning.


Fall.

I hope you all enjoy this wonderful time of the year!


2 comments:

Margo said...

I love Fall too! It must be a family thing :-) Hopefully we'll be having some soon.

kym said...

WOW! You have such a way with words and photos! I miss you.