Friday, April 30, 2010
2010 ~ Year of the House
Kevin termed the phrase "2010~ Year of the House"; and how right he was. As you know, we finished installing our floors early in the year, and thought we were done for awhile. But then we woke one morning to a leaking dishwasher. We bought a new dishwasher the beginning of March. We bought a pretty nice one because we wanted it to last for many years. Ten short days later, it started to make a loud noise. We went back to the store, receipt in hand and were told we could only return it within 7 days if it was defective, 10 days they would have to put in a warranty call. So after finding a repairman who would come after 3:30 ( a hard task to find one of those I might add) we had the initial visit, and then he had to order a part.
Wednesday they finally got it fixed.
As you also know, the hail storm we had did some severe damage to our roof, so we ended up getting that replaced. The Amish men came Thursday to put that on. I was really impressed, they got here at 7:45 and immediately climbed onto the roof and had half the shingles (two layers) torn off by the time I left for work at 8:20. When I got home at 4:00, they were almost finished with the house, and were about ready to begin on the garage. It took 3 men less then 12 hours to finish it all. When Kevin got home, both he and I started cleaning up the front yard. We knew they wouldn't finish before dark if we didn't help out. Their driver went and picked up two Amish boys after school, and they helped clean up too. It was a hot and windy day,81 degrees, I made some sweet tea and I had a cold watermelon in the frig, so I cut that up, and we all enjoyed the cold sugar boost.
Mid March, our furnace started smoking. Thankfully we were home when that happened, so we quickly turned off power to it and called the repairman. I forget what was wrong, but we tried repairing it and then it still didn't work right so we bit the bullet and decided to get a new heat-pump/air/furnace. So today, Friday, I took the day off of work, and the furnace men are here and trying to get that installed. First, they were planning putting it near our back door, and I dug the hostas up, so they could put it there. When they unloaded the unit, I thought "no way do I want that huge thing by our back door". I called Kevin and got his opinion and we ended up having them put it at the far end of the back of the house. It's a little more work for the guys, but this is something we will have to live with for decades, hopefully. They have to move a shut off switch, and use more conduit, and it will cost about $250 more then the other plan, but that's okay, when we are talking as much money as a new unit costs that's nothing. :-(
Since we were changing the location of the unit, I needed to dig up the hostas on the other side of the house. Now I have tons of hostas sitting out under the deck waiting for a new home. Some in rubbermades and some just on the ground. While the workers have been working, and since I was already dirty from moving plants, I got the garage cleaned out a little, and got recyclables sorted and ready to take in, and got all my pots with dirt emptied and ready for new plants.
Kevin was right when he said this is the Year of the House. I just pray this is the extent of it. We do want to paint the house, but after the roof, and furnace, that will be nothing...
We'll keep you posted.